Calling Card Holder. Sterling silver plated holder with a round base and curving stem, which supports a large leaf, decorated like a peacock's feather. Cherub handle. Footed.
During the Victorian era, visitors to a home of a wealthy man like Voigt would be greeted at the door by a servant. If the Voigts were not home, or did not wish to socialize, visitors of status were encouraged to leave a calling card so the family could contact them later. It would be placed in this tray. Collecting these calling cards became an incidental hobby of wealthy Victorians.;Bottom/Stamped: 'Rogers & Bro./Triple Plate/'3640'; hand holding thunderbolts, circular..;USA: Michigan, Grand Rapids. Voigt House. Ralph Voigt donated majority of C.G.A. Voigt estate to GR Foundation upon his death in 1971. GR Foundation leased the property to Kent County Council of Historic Preservation. KCCHP purchased the property in 1974 and donated it to the City.. Voigt, Ralph.;USA: Michigan, Grand Rapids. Voigt House. Voigt, Ralph.
1890 – 1900
6.5" h 6.5" w 6.25" d
Current Location Status:
Gift Of Kent County Council For Historic Preservation
Recommending designation of new historic districts
Reviewing applications for proposed alterations within historic districts
Enforcing the Historic Preservation Ordinance Chapter and cooperating with the state, federal and local governments in pursuance of its responsibilities
Conducting meetings or hearings necessary to carry out these purposes
The Historic Preservation Commission consists of seven members who reside in Grand Rapids. Members are appointed by the City Commission for three-year terms (two consecutive terms are allowed). Members shall have a demonstrated interest in or knowledge of historic preservation. Two members shall be appointed from a list submitted by the Kent County Council for Historic Preservation and one member shall be an architect duly registered in the State of Michigan.