Comments and Tags

Be the first to comment on this item!




Coat

Identifier:
158165
Current Location Status:
On Exhibit
Source:
Gift Of Grand Rapids Fire Department
Exhibit/Program:
Streets of Old Grand Rapids (after 1994)
Related Entity:
Grand Rapids Fire Department (donor)
The Grand Rapids Fire Department was founded in 1849 after the Wendell residence on Fulton Street and Lafayette Avenue burned down with nearly all its contents. Citizens approached the village council and demanded a fire brigade be established. That fall, Alert Fire Company Number 1 was established with twenty-eight members. 

Since 1849, the Grand Rapids Fire Department has grown to include eleven stations with 221 members across the city.