Worden Furniture Factory featured in the background of this photograph was co-owned between Adelbert E. Worden and Henry Fralick. The factory was located on the west side of the Grand River near the end of the Chicago and West Michigan Railroad (C&WM) bridge. The building was located at South Front, Earl and Talford streets in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The swing bridge pictured in the center was built on a turntable to allow boats to pass up the Grand River. The remaining land in the river is known as Jackson Island and commonly referred to Punk Island today.
1881 – 1891
Paper, Board, Negative
4" h 7" w
Current Location Status:
Worden Furniture Company Worden Furniture Co. manufactured chamber suits, bedsteads, and tables in ash and maple only. Founded in 1881, the factory building was a five-floor brick and wooden structure. The total sales for the first year in 1882 were less than $30,000, while their operations for 1888 was nearly $150,000. In 1891, the company dissolved when the factory was destroyed by fire.