Looks to be the horseshoe wing dam that was originally built before the 1866 Water Rights Contract between the East Side and West Side Water Power franchises. It basically helped feed the East Side Water Power Canal. After the 1866 contract and the 4th Street dam constructed it was to be removed. The West Side Water Power Canal franchise took the East Side to court to have it removed. It seems to have lingered well into the 1870s.Jim Winslow, 2/29/2016
A Southeast view of Grand River features loggers on the water in the foreground. Downtown Grand Rapids can be seen in the backgound just beyond the 6th Street Bridge. The first building on the left is the Grand Rapids Water Department located on Monroe and Coldbrook NW.