These trousers are charcoal gray and are made of wool. They have belt loops, two jet pockets on the back, and have cuffed hems. There is an interior label that reads "Club Flannel by Botany". These trousers were worn by a member of the Voigt family of Grand Rapids, Michigan.
circa 1950 – 1975
4" h 13" w
Current Location Status:
Gift of Kent County Council for Historic Preservation
Alternate names: Voigt FamilyThe Voigt family, whose home is now preserved by the Grand Rapids Public Museum, moved to the city in 1875 and resided at 133 Court Street (now Scribner Street). The Voigt family partnered with the Herpolsheimer family in the dry-good and carpet business and in a few years the partnership expanded to include two flour mills -- the Crescent and Star mills located on the Grand River. In 1902 the partnership came to a mutual end. The Herpolsheimer family retained the dry-good store and the Voigt family kept the two mills. By the turn of the century, Voigt flour under several brand names, and later Voigt Cereal, were known across Michigan and far east as New England. Due to bankruptcy and a strike, the flour milling business came to an abrupt end in 1955. In 1895, Carl G.A. Voigt hired local architect William G. Robinson to design a house on 115 College Avenue Southeast to serve as his retirement home. It was modeled after the chateaux at Chenoceaux, France. The home is a fine example of Victorian architecture and complemented the Victorian family that lived in it. It was lived in by just the Voigt family which was comprised of Carl Gustav Adolf Voigt, his wife Elizabeth Wurster Voigt and their children. They were the parents of nine children with six surviving until adulthood. The family lived in the home from 1895 to 1971. Kent County Council For Historic Preservation
(donor)The Kent County Council for Historic Preservation has several responsibilities that support the preservation and protection of our history. These include:
The Historic Preservation Commission consists of seven members who reside in Grand Rapids. Members are appointed by the City Commission for three-year terms (two consecutive terms are allowed). Members shall have a demonstrated interest in or knowledge of historic preservation. Two members shall be appointed from a list submitted by the Kent County Council for Historic Preservation and one member shall be an architect duly registered in the State of Michigan.
- Recommending designation of new historic districts
- Reviewing applications for proposed alterations within historic districts
- Enforcing the Historic Preservation Ordinance Chapter and cooperating with the state, federal and local governments in pursuance of its responsibilities
- Conducting meetings or hearings necessary to carry out these purposes